Football News

Transfer news LIVE: Fernandes Man Utd debut plan, Arsenal advanced talks, Chelsea, Leeds | Football | Sport

6views

Transfer news LIVE updates

Thursday, January 16

Battle for Nathan Ake

Arsenal and Tottenham are interested in signing Bournemouth defender Nathan Ake as Chelsea looked destined to spurn their chance to re-sign the Dutchman.

Ake graduated from Chelsea’s youth academy in 2012 but joined the Cherries for £20million five years later.

As part of the deal, Chelsea installed a clause which allowed them to bring the centre-half back to Stamford Bridge for £40m.

That stipulation expires at the end of this month, after which Chelsea will have to enter the rat race to gain Ake’s signature, as his stock continues to rise.

The 24-year-old has been a mainstay in Eddie Howe’s backline over the past two seasons and has shown the ball-playing aptitude to attract some of England’s biggest clubs.

Manchester City are known to be considering Ake to solve their centre-back issues, but The Athletic claim both north London clubs are also lurking.

Transfer news LIVE: Nathan Ake is in demand this month (Image: GETTY)

Arsenal face Barcelona battle

Arsenal face fierce competition from Barcelona and Bayer Leverkusen in the race to sign highly-rated Brazilian right-back Yan Couto.

Arsenal have been depleted in the position this season with central midfielder Ainsley Maitland-Niles often having to fill in for the injured Hector Bellerin.

Couto is seen as one of hottest prospects on the right side of defence following his development at Brazilian side Coritiba.

His starring role in Brazil’s Under-17 World Cup triumph last year put the defender on the map and a trio of Europe’s biggest clubs have since been keeping tabs.

Arsenal and Barcelona were the frontrunners for the teenager’s signature but, according to Brazilian media outlet Globo Esporte, the Catalans have stolen a march in proceedings.

It is claimed that Barca are closing in on a permanent deal for the player Couto worth £4.25million (€5m).

Transfer news LIVE: Arsenal and Barcelona are battling for Yan Couto

Transfer news LIVE: Arsenal and Barcelona are battling for Yan Couto (Image: GETTY)

Bruno Fernandes would be hard to replace

Sporting Lisbon boss Silas says Manchester United transfer target Bruno Fernandes is irreplaceable and they would need to sign three players if he left this month.

Silas confirmed the 25-year-old midfielder will play in the Lisbon derby against Benfica tomorrow night.

He explained: “The only certainty I have is that Bruno will play. We prepared the game with him and he trained very well.

“I’ve heard some people talk about money. He isn’t worth the numbers they refer to, he’s worth a lot more. In Portugal there are good players, but to replace Bruno we need three.”

Transfer news LIVE: Bruno Fernandes is closing in on a move to Manchester United

Transfer news LIVE: Bruno Fernandes is closing in on a move to Manchester United (Image: GETTY)

Che Adams going nowhere

Ralph Hasenhuttl put his foot down with the Southampton board and told them: “We are not selling Che Adams.”

Striker Adams, who has not scored a goal for Saints since his £15million summer move from Birmingham, now looks set to stay at St Mary’s, Express Sport understands.

That is despite the fact that the Saints board were this week set to accept a bid from Leeds for Adams, 23, for a loan deal until the end of this season which could have led to a permanent £10m switch to Elland Road.

But Hasenhuttl, his standing at St Mary’s now much more secure than it was six weeks ago when his team, after being beaten 9-0 at home by Leicester in October, were marooned in the relegation zone, said no – and the Southampton board have backed down.

Saints have won five of their last six games to move into mid table – and Hasenhuttl has told Adams in face to face talks that he wants the striker to stay, and that he will get more game time.

Transfer news LIVE: Che Adams will not leave Southampton for Leeds this month

Transfer news LIVE: Che Adams will not leave Southampton for Leeds this month (Image: GETTY)

Thomas Lemar bids rejected

Arsenal have already made an approach for France international Thomas Lemar from Atletico Madrid, but Mikel Arteta faces stiff competition for his signature from rivals Tottenham.

But, Atletico manager Diego Simeone has rebuffed both offers from the north London clubs.

Arsenal have been linked with a move for Lemar for a number of years, and they were close to signing the forward in 2018.

But, the deal fell through, and the 24-year-old moved from Monaco to Atletico six months later.

After failing to impress Simeone this season, Atletico are reportedly willing to sanction Lemar’s sale this month.

Both Arsenal and Spurs have already made bids for the left winger, according to AS.

But, the offers were believed to be far short of the club’s valuation for the player.

Transfer news LIVE: Thomas Lemar bids have been rejected by Atletico Madrid

Transfer news LIVE: Thomas Lemar bids have been rejected by Atletico Madrid (Image: GETTY)

Man Utd agree terms with Bruno Fernandes

Manchester United have agreed personal terms with Bruno Fernandes as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer moves a step closer to making the Sporting Lisbon midfielder his fourth signing as Red Devils boss.

Portuguese super-agent Jorge Mendes has been brought in as United attempt to finalise a fee with Sporting, who had been hoping to bring in as much as £68m for their captain.

Express Sport understands United had been willing to give Fernandes a contract worth a whopping £150,000 a week, which would represent a significant increase on his current salary.

Solskjaer has made the 25-year-old his top January transfer target and Ed Woodward has given him the financial backing to pursue a deal.

The Telegraph now report United have sorted out personal terms with Fernandes, who is expected to put pen to paper on a minimum four-and-a-half-year contract.

United must now agree upon a transfer fee with Sporting, who may be forced to cave having initially demanded £68m for their star man to due to the financial issues they’re experiencing.

Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd are closing in on Bruno Fernandes

Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd are closing in on Bruno Fernandes (Image: GETTY)

Arsenal in advanced talks with PSG

Arsenal are in advanced talks with Paris Saint-Germain left-back Layvin Kurzawa, according to David Ornstein of The Athletic.

He also reports that the Gunners are working on three to four cheaper deals this month but may not complete them all before the January transfer deadline.

He tweeted: “Arsenal in advanced talks to sign PSG left-back Layvin Kurzawa. Negotiating today over deal for this window.

“Free agent in summer so trying to do it now without fee. #AFC working on 3-4 loan / free / low fee deals (doesn’t mean will do all)”.

Chelsea change plans

Chelsea are preparing for Willian’s exit and have made signing a winger their main transfer priority, says transfer expert Duncan Castles.

Chelsea look set to allow Olivier Giroud to leave the club this month, leaving them short on attacking options. Blues head coach Frank Lampard has stated he is looking to reinforce his strike force during the current window.

“It does not look like Chelsea are willing to spend that much on a centre-forward,” Castles said on the Transfer Window podcast.

“Their priorities, I’m told, are elsewhere, particularly on the wing where they envisage losing Willian at the latest in the summer.

“They have offered Willian a new contract but only a one-year contract because of his age.

Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool will not let Xherdan Shaqiri leave the club this month

Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool will not let Xherdan Shaqiri leave the club this month (Image: GETTY)

“Willian, quite understandably, is arguing that ‘I’m better than a one-year contract, I’m a top performer in the Premier League, there are plenty of other clubs who would like to give me a longer-term deal, so I’m not going to sign that’.

“So Chelsea are preparing for his exit and I’m told are focusing on wingers at present.”

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp sends message to agent

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has decided he will not sell anyone from his first team squad this month, including Xherdan Shaqiri.

The Swiss international has been linked with a switch to Roma but has been told he will be staying put.

And, according to the Mirror, Klopp has even gone as far to warn Shaqiri’s agent that he won’t be allowed to leave the club as they home in on the Premier League title.

Shaqiri has struggled to make an impact since sealing his move from Stoke. So far this season he has played just 175 minutes of football in the Premier League.

Shaqiri has started twice and come of then bench four times, while he made one three-minute substitute appearance in the Champions League.

But Klopp is still determined to keep him at the club as they hunt their first league title since 1990.




Source link . More news

Leave a Response

Football news
Association football, more commonly known as football or soccer, is a team sport played with a spherical ball between two teams of eleven players. It is played by 250 million players in over 200 countries and dependencies, making it the world's most popular sport.